Friday 27 February 2015

Finished object file: Newborn Vertebrae | Patons Dreamtime 4ply

A wee wooly gift for a wee little bub
Today I had the pleasure of packaging up a little woolly gift to send to my friends in Sydney to welcome their new daughter. I love handmade gifts and I love being able to give something that I lovingly made myself to my dear friends.

Not being 100% sure that they were expecting a girl I opted for a gender neutral item. Kelly Brooker of Peka Peka Designs has a great little pattern that is available for free called 'Newborn Vertebrae'. It's a very simple buttonless cardigan but sometimes the simple items are the best for newborns. What is the point of having an extremely pretty piece of clothing that will get puked on and be grown out of within a few weeks? Also, how clever is this buttonless design? No small fiddly buttons to deal with for overtired parents. LOVE IT!

Kelly also sells the Vertebrae pattern in sizes for older babies and kids in a combined ebook. As well as that she has also designed a mama sized one too. I like the idea of a mama sized Vertebrae as a stylish and simple open cardigan that perfectly complements a growing baby bump.

Simple designs are often the best for newborns
Also thrown into the gift is another Crooked Little Baby Bonnet that I had previously posted about in the blog. This one was knit quite a few months ago out of Quince & Co. Chickadee wool. I had held off gifting it to anyone because I thought the size of it came out a bit too small even for a newborn. My friend's new bub is a wee little girl born at 2.2kg so I think this will be perfect for her.

This is my favourite baby bonnet pattern for little girls
Since I cannot give her a big auntie cuddle I can send her my love and prayers and wrap her up in some comfy woollies.

Do you have any favourite newborn knits? What are your essential 'must have' items for new babies (not necessarily knitted)?

No comments:

Post a Comment